AR/VR- an ultimatum to the tech terrain
In this constantly developing tech world, the inclusion of machines and the digitalization of systems have peaked the terrain. Humans have upgraded the existing system and are in a continual procedure of making things around better. The tech world has uplifted to such a height that even human invasion into the tech world is merely required. Digitalization has aced the race. From the water we drink to the bed we sleep on- we are now all digitalized with the increasing technicality.
Artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, Robotics, Augmented and virtual reality, and the endless list. This modification and inclination in the tech world have been a boon to human society. The world has gotten into the new arena of AR and VR. This field is now getting more attention, and expert engagement and the world is diving into it more.
What is Augmented reality or AR?
Augmented reality is a mechanism that gives the experience of any real-time scenario by directly not indulging the person in it. It is an interactive method that uses real-time information like texts, and graphics and a sensory system like visual, aural, tactual, somatosensory and olfactory. With augmented reality (AR), humans can overlay digital content in a real-world setting.
What is Virtual reality or VR?
Virtual reality is a part of the technology that works to give people the immersive simulated experience of the virtual world. To provide the user with an immersive sense of a virtual world, virtual reality (VR) uses position tracking and 3D near-eye displays.
The world has been paving its way long to bridge the virtual and real worlds. AR and VR have heightened potential in the future of marketing, e-commerce, aging, health care, and all the other sectors that require human assistance. Both technologies have a wide range of utilities worldwide, yet they create differences at specific points. Both AR and VR are well-known for indulging the experience that brings in the experience of virtual in reality and vice-versa. Mixed reality and augmented reality are often used interchangeably. Additionally, the terms extended reality and computer-mediated reality are similar.
In the arena of AR, the primary value is to deal with the components of the digital world in a person’s perception of the real world. Here, a world of perception or interest is created. Augmented reality improves natural settings or circumstances and provides perceptually enriched experiences. Using augmented reality, users can receive more information or have their natural surroundings visually altered. The main advantage of AR is that it successfully combines digital and three-dimensional (3D) elements with a person’s view of the real environment. AR has several applications, ranging from entertainment to decision support.
Similarly, the world of VR has expanded and enriched the gaming zone. The inclusion of VR in this field has raged the bar of employment. VR is now helping grow in every possible way. The gaming world was considered useless and jobless for a long time. But, with VR getting acknowledged and enhancing technologies, it has successfully built a world where no one goes misused. In the arena of VR, people are given the experience of a 3D world. A place with moving objects, a reality that is present virtually.
What makes AR different from VR?
The biggest difference between the both lies in the immersion of the types of world present. In AR, the technology uses the existing technology and puts a virtual touch to the same. In the AR methodology, the real world is endorsed with the information, facts, figures, requirements, and availability of the real world in the virtual world.
Whereas in VR, a whole new world of perception is created. VR completely plunges its users into a virtually condensed world. VR draws its users towards a world with no characteristics or inclusion of the world around us. With inclusion gaining heights in the VR world, devices are used to accomplish the requirements. In VR, people are placed in a 3D world where people interact with a specific type of nature or objects.
The sole difference between AR and VR is that AR stays grounded in the available sphere and tries to make changes in the same. But VR creates a specific environment and makes its users interact accordingly.
Are AR and VR inter-connected?
As both terminologies denote, they work in an environment that is not present in this world. AR deals by superimposing the 3D virtual digital content on the real world, whereas VR makes a replacement of the real world with the virtual world. Both systems require a 3D model to work on. Although not mandatory, AR and VR headsets are necessary when dealing with such scenarios.
AR blends virtual reality into real life. Developers develop images or applications that bring digital content into the real world.
VR is eternally related to a virtual world of software or applications that give the user a real-time virtual experience. Both technologies, when blended, form a Mixed reality. An example of the same is Snapchat filters. Here, a real-life object, i.e., a human who is the user, gets into a fictional or virtual makeover that is not present in real. Here, the combination of both AR and VR technologies works. AR helps you to view a virtual object being present in the physical world.
Applications of AR/VR- The hype is that VR is being used exclusively in gaming.
But there’s a world beyond it. The future is reliable on the application of these technologies. The future’s shape will be decided by how these technologies enhance. The utility of these technologies is widespread in all areas of work. From healthcare to the entertainment industry, there is no space left where technology isn’t present or cannot be used. Some of the significant augmented reality applications and virtual reality application technologies are-
1 : Automotive industry
VR has proved to be the best buddy the automotive industry can have. VR models are developed by engineers and designers to experiment with the prototypes and models that will be feasible. Before generating the final parts of any vehicle, the visual design is relished upon and plaid over to see the durability, stability, and other deciding factors for its final manufacture. VR indeed has proved to be a boon for the automotive industry, as by implementing such 3D models, the price for physically manufacturing automobile parts for testing is reduced.
2 : Neurosurgery
AR has the most critical applications in the medical domain. Surgeries, especially neurosurgeries, require a detailed view and known awareness of the specific area the disease has been caused or where the damage is present. The inclusion of AR technology makes it way easier for doctors.
3 : To verify
To verify the areas that require treatment firmly. This technology works as a guide and support throughout the surgery procedure. The visuals that are obtained help the doctor mark the minute blockages present and help avoid all possible human errors that can be there.
4 : The retail market
the online shopping world has been heightened and is on its way to achieving the highest inclusion of profound technologies like AR and VR in their methods of selling things. Companies are now introducing a new way of shopping wherein the buyers or customers can choose before they choose. The inclusion of VR into the retail market has lessened the number of return and exchange procedures that continued numerously during the buying procedures. Customers can now go for a virtual trial of the things they want to buy. This procedure is more sustainable because it makes the customers stress less and buy more. Customers can know what will get fit according to their shape, size and fit without even trying it in real.
5 : Pitch map in cricket
AR even has entered the sports field too. A pitch map or summary determines the bowling length—whether short, long, or a yorker. Additionally, it shows how many shots were “on-side” and “off-side.” A pitch map can also illustrate the distance and direction of borders. Various colours represent the various facets of the current over. These lines and markers are not on the actual field but appear real since an AR-enabled digital augmentation has been superimposed.
6 : Tourism
The global pandemic has made us realize how badly we love our freedom to roam to any place we want. But this has even pushed the AR and VR field to get through even in the tourism sector. AR and VR have made things so easier and more feasible that people can decide before they visit any place of interest. With these technologies, people now get a virtual feel of the places they want to visit through VR technology. This becomes a deciding factor for tourists. Including such technologies has even seen an upliftment in tourism in many places.
Advantages of AR
- Due to the lack of a head-mounted display, augmented reality (AR) offers users more freedom and more marketing opportunities.
- The market potential for AR is greater than VR, and it has recently been expanding more quickly as major businesses begin to use it.
- AR has numerous applications in every field of work.
- Device restrictions have less of an impact on AR. High-quality and lifelike item creation is still necessary.
- It helps users create a unique user experience digitally that gives the feel of being physical in a virtual world.
- Augmented reality helps organisations create a visual representation to interpret data that helps avoid getting into huge losses.
Disadvantages of AR
- The inability of an average user to create 3D content and the lack of appropriate hardware to play or support it, particularly in real-time, is a significant drawback the AR technology faces.
- AR is not as immersive as VR.
- Low application and adoption in daily life.
- The drawbacks of augmented reality include bulky, pricey headgear with a small field of view (FoV).
- Security issues when manipulated AR data influence worker decisions.
- A steep learning curve that is expensive.
- Lack of really accurate spatial placement systems for AR objects.
Advantages of VR
- Virtual Reality for education generates a world of perception even on this human-filled planet. This has helped the education sector transform the way education is provided.
- It has a greater role in tourism. It enables people to have a pre-tour exploration of the places.
- VR allows users to experiment in an artificial environment.
- Virtual reality is a great help in medical science. It helps the doctor know details about the damage and area of damage and then helps them decide how to make the proper treatment.
- VR has proved to be the most cost-effective tool used in machinery and automotive industries to make the final prototype. With the inclusion of virtual reality in the picture, the cost-bearing capacity has been reduced and has helped companies avoid bearing both human and machinery damages.
Disadvantages of VR
- The area of exposure is restricted as the tools used are costly.
- Requires the knowledge of complex technology for creation, implementation, and experimentation.
- Restrictions on movement and discomfort, we must perform according to the requirement.
- virtual reality makes people addicted to its self-made environment. It makes people detached from the real world, which seriously affects the human body.
- Although virtual reality gives the experience of a virtual world, it has absolutely no human interaction and reduces human engagement.
The future of the world is what AR and VR technologies will make it. According to statistics, the worldwide number of users of AR and VR is expected to increase to around 216 million, which means more than half of the population will be technically enhanced. The future is becoming technically driven; the present is getting technically sharpened. It’s high time to get into the zone and explore the essence of these growing technologies. May it be in any dimension of life, we are engulfed by the blessings and tracings of technically developed gadgets, devices, etc.
The future is technically rolled up, and we will be the riders of this drive.